Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Wandering Jews

"Not all who wander are lost"

Today I was filled with dread as I realize that it is Novemeber 4 of 2008 and my lease is up on my home on December 31st of this year.

Why was I filled with dread ?

Because up till now I have no "Plan B". No place to move into, no roof above my head that I may call my own. I will be homeless.

This is not because I dont have money to pay rent or a job to support myself. It is because many other causes have been calling my attention till now. Now I feel the pressure to find a place to live. All day my mind is filled with thoughts of finding a serviceable domicile in which to dwell.

I start asking friends as the people I have contacted who have property have not returned my phone calls. I feel increasingly anxious as the day goes on. I tell my friends, I"I must look for a place to live" as I run out the door. They yell good luck and I am off like a shot. Meanwhile I have commitments to keep and people with whom I must keep agreements. The day becomes one blur as one event blends seamlessly into another.

I am tired and hungry, it is time to go home and lick my wounds. I give one final phone call to my first choice apartment to rent. The phone rings.... a person answers. Hello, is this so and so ? Yes this is she. I immediately explain who I am and why I am calling, during their dinner time, and that I apologize for the intrusion.

My call is well received. (Thank god for good manners) I have scheduled a meeting to look at the apartment of my choice. I feel a sigh of relief come over me. I will have a place to live come January 1st of 2009. I am saved. I am home now. I shower and remove the day from my flesh. I begin to ponder...

Now I understand what my ancestors felt as they wandered through the desert for 40 years with no roof over their head, and no home to call their own. The European Jews in exile with no homeland or place to call their own until recently. The Shylocks and Merchants of Venice or Spain or London.

Being homeless is a scary proposition for anyone. But to be a people in exile like the Dalai Lama and the people of Tibet. This is very unsettling. They have been dispossessed by the Peoples Republic of China. The Dalai Lama sent for the Jews of the United states to teach him the secrets of a people living in exile.

Most of all, you have to have faith in yourself and you have to make your way in the world no matter what your circumstance. We make our own lick. There is no substitute for persistence and perseverance. We are all homeless when we die. We have no body to return to and the universe becomes our home. Where do we belong ? Amongst those who love us. When we find love and acceptance, then we are truly home.

No comments: